Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rider Haggard called it "the grip."

"The grip" is that moment when you first discover a whole new side to life. This new goal or focus or passion is so deeply engrained in you in that moment of discovery that it feels as if it has just been sleeping inside of you all along. Now, this new passion isn't a fleeting possession or hobby, but it's a desire that changes your life's vision. It adds a whole unchartered territory to your map of adventure.

Do you remember your moment of "the grip"?

I asked myself that question today and realized that I had left a few gripping moments behind which led to a rediscovery of an old passion. It was a goal that I used to long for and fight for daily. I don't know why I haven't thought of it in a while. Maybe Mr. Haggard would call that "the rut."

One of the scariest things to me would be to get to the end of life having never been gripped by something.

I long to only be gripped by an eternal perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment